Skip to content

Food Safety Policies

Please review the following guidelines prior to submitting a temporary food permit application. In order to sell food, give away food or serve periisible foods on campus a food permit must be approved.

This procedure applies to all UC Merced temporary events where food is sold, served or given to the general public or campus community, such as student club events, department and campus affiliate events, and events where a third party vendor (caterer) is brought onto campus. These procedures protect health, prevent disease, and promote healthy practices among the campus community.

Food Safety Guidelines 

Food safety standards apply to all facilities including temporary food facilities. A temporary food facility usually consists of a fully enclosed tent or booth and is constructed for the duration of the event. Temporary food events can range in the length of time they are operational. Every temporary food facility at a temporary or occasional event that will be serving food to the public or anyone to the campus community must have a valid UCM-Temporary Food Permit for that event. *TFF LIMIT: 25 consecutive or nonconsecutive days in a 90 day period. 

food permit request must be submitted at least seven (7) business days prior to the event. Food Safety Training must be completed online prior to submitting a food permit request. Food Safety Training is required every 3 years. A trained food handler must be present at all times during the food event.

Having trouble accessing Food Safety Training or UCLC email or fill out a form on

Public vs Private Events

Community Public Event

The California Retail Food Code states a Community Event means an event that is of civic, political, public, or educational nature, including state and county fairs, city festivals, circuses, and other public gathering events approved by the local enforcement agency. An event is considered public and requires a Temporary Health Permit to Operate if the following describes the event:

  • Event is free or a ticket/pass can be purchased by the general public.
  • Event is advertised through media ‐ internet, newspaper, television, radio, and billboard.
  • The general public would attend the event either by interest of the trade or advertisement of the event.

Private Event

An event is considered private and does not require a Temporary Health Permit to Operate if the following criteria are met:

  • Event is invitation only or held for a private club or corporation.
  • Participants need eligibility to attend, such as a professional licenses or certificate for the profession (e.g. doctors, lawyers, teachers, plumbers).

Steps for getting your Temporary Food Event Permit Approved

Day of Your Event

  • Display the Temporary Food Event Permit on your organization's table/@ the event
  • Ensure you have member(s) who are food safety trained serving the food at your event
  • Please follow all applicable guidelines to keep your food hot or cold for the duration of your event

For more information, please go to EH&S website or reach out to